Wednesday, 17 March 2021
  16 Replies
  3.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
Well the whole World at War issue seems to have fallen on deaf ears with regard to Activision.

I have a implemented a change today that will restart the server every 15 minutes, but only when there are no players in at the time. Also I am going to add a map randomiser that should select a random map rotation at each restart. To set this up I need to put some map names in the list, so could you hardened waw players suggest around about 20 maps and make a note about their size as the solution has the possibility of creating a rotation that matches the amount of players in the server at that time.

Hopefully this will improve the playability of the server and also add a bit of map variety.

I will keep nagging Activision, but even some of the big game server providers have tried but had no luck.

Cheers

http://oghf.org.uk/flat/flatty.gif

Flatsix
featured this post — 3 years ago
Thanks for the info and great job Flatyyy m8 ,

Still i think we need more gits who can restart the server - Hawky and Roger for example , so we can act faster....

Well , waiting till server is empty is not the best solution i think , but i dont have any new/better idea....
Lets see how it works , fingers crossed.

Maps :

all normal maps apart of Makin day and night and seelow and more small / middle maps than big ones.

Moded maps :

Hijacked
Lapatrouille
mp_cw_burgundy
mp_cw_hurtgen
mp_carentan
maquina_viet
mohdm1
Bgaden

Will add some more , but have to go on my night shift tonight so dont have too much time pooh

Cheers m8 , really hope silly activision will start working on it again...
outskirts please
revolution
Votes
Undo
Thanx Flatty,

the shorter maps are my favorit, Robbys list is a good list but add:
Dome
Station
Subway
outskirts (lol mylady)
stalingrad

Thanx Flatty great job,

cheers
Votes
Undo
Maybe 1 of the tank maps just for Kitty.
Good idea awol outskirts is a good map for tanks...
Everytime I mention tanks the waw guys run for the hills lol:) :D
Votes
Undo
Tanks are great, it's just a shame kitty can't drive them ...lol :D :D :D :D :D
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Roundhouse
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sub Pens :-)
Roundhouse

I like that map and downfall and hangar but cant get on those maps :(
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
What is the issue with waw? server lag after time?

I don't fancy your chances of Activision doing anything, they never even fixed the linux binaries ability to load custom maps. All they are interested is pumping out a new game each year to milk the brand.

waw uses udp which is a connectionless protocol, makes me wonder if a proxy could be setup between outside and the server so the server could restart without dropping connections (replay initial handshake on server restart)
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
also Flatsix the forums don't let you post again if you using https://www.oghf.org.uk pick one (www/no www) redirect the other
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
oh activision's crappy auth server is still the issue, looking into if that can be proxied so cod never sees it disconnect. found its TCP connections to cod5-pc-auth.mmp3.demonware.net and cod5-pc.lsg.mmp3.demonware.net
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Found some contact info for demonware. maybe @flatsix can email/phone them to see if they will do anything. https://www.gamesindustry.biz/resources/directory/company/demonware

The server with the issue is cod5-pc.lsg.mmp3.demonware.net the auth server is only connected for a short time during server startup, once authed it disconnects.

Basically the server tries to update its status every so often with the lsg server, and it either 502's (bad gateway) or disconnects, at which point the status update fails and the server prevents new users from connecting.

So far ive not managed to figure out the packet structure/encryption(des/3des it seems) to build a local status cache so it can resend the server status once the lsg server is working again
Votes
Undo
Hi Generaljoey

Thanks for all your work digging into the backend of the waw situation. I had made contact with someone at demonware but they responded with their contractual commitments and that all support requests must go via Activision.

I have been looking into a way of spoofing the server with regard to the auth. If manually I drop the internet connection on my garage test server when the error appears and then reconnect the issue resolves it's self.

The Plutonium project uses some form of demonware proxy by the looks of it to send the auth data to their servers rather than Activision.

Cheers

http://oghf.org.uk/flat/flatty.gif

Flatsix
unfeatured this post — 2 years ago
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.