Rule 3 No Abuse
Rule 4 No Hopping
Rule 5 No Swearing
Rule 6 No Glitching or Hacking
Rule 7 No Recruiting
Rule 8 No Spawn Killing
Rule 9 No Offensive Names
Rule 10 Have Fun

Let me try to voice my interpretation of our rules.

Rule 1 No Racism - Fairly self explanatory I hope, and so your head admin would give a 2 week tempban for a first offence and a perm ban for a second. The bot on CoD4 still permbans for racism I believe - On WaW it does not. If you have any concerns regarding a players conduct please contact your head admin and try to give them a time/date and which server it happened.

Rule 2 No Rpg/Gl - Again no real need to explain this, the bot does this for us but we have had a situation where people have managed to use them due to their loadout choice, this is a rule infraction and should be met with normal warns and kicks.

Rule 3 No Abuse - We all have differing opinions on what is offensive, if in doubt ask your head admin for clarification, other than that normal warns and kicks, unless what is said is deeply offensive then a tempban or perm ban may be in order.
Please inform your Head Admin of anything that you feel needs a stern response.

Rule 4 No Hopping - This one has been debated quite a bit so here is my take on this. No jumping in close combat, no jumping around corners or down stairs, no jump shooting. Shooting whilst dropping from a ledge/balcony/window etc. is allowed. Jumping to throw a nade is also allowed. Again usual warns and kicks.

Rule 6 No Glitching or Hacking - Another well discussed topic, and as we are already well aware of it I will not go any further with this. We will always perm ban a hacker after an initial 2 week temp ban for evaluation of proof, glitching should be recorded and then warn the offender, but continued glitching will result in a perm ban - we would need demo's as proof of this though.

Rule 7 No Recruiting - This to me is any player coming to our server trying to recruit for another clan, also any player trying to lure our guests away to another server. Normal warns and kicks.

Rule 8 No Spawn Killing - Sounds simple but is it ?. Sitting in fixed position shooting people as they spawn or even letting them run a couple of meters if there is no cover, or as they emerge from a spawn exit is all spawn kill to me. Running through a spawn and clearing it is not spawn killing. Normal warns and kicks.

Addendum for rule 8 - No Spawn killing, the flip side of this is no spawn camping, I use spawn camp to mean players sitting in a spawn area shooting out and players sitting outside a spawn area shooting in. It is difficult to warn a player for spawn kill if the spawn is occupied hence our goal to move players away from the spawn area. And also not to put mines in the spawn areas.

Rule 9 No Offensive Names - Again this runs in parallel with the No Abuse/No Swearing rules, Warns and kicks.

Rule 10 Have Fun - no idea what this is :)

Any of these rules where we would use our standard of friendly requests, warns and kicks will if necessary lead to temp bans and eventually perm bans for the most persistent offenders. Please also remember that "Perm Ban" is the Head Admins job, Not to be used in game.

I asked robbyy to read this before I posted, He had some very sage words that I will quote.

"On the first sight i would just add the explanation what should be most important goal for admins - to make a servers more popular.
To act more like a teacher not a policeman , to be helpfull and patient especially with new players who break rules.
To have always on the mind what is better for the clan.
Its easy to kick someone, anyone can do it, but hardest way is to get over some little incident and give the guest opportunity to accept our point of view and possibly change his mind.
And maybe we will find the treasure, again :)"
Votes
Undo
Thanks for this expanation. In addition on this, some thoughts on communication when warning
1. First of all: I appreciate the efforts of all administrators to keep the game running smoothly. Certainly from those who often take on that role.
2. I myself will never break the rules on purpose, I am convinced that this applies to most players, especially players who are devoted to the server.
3. The rules are not always easy - especially for new players - and sometimes open to interpretation. I myself have been playing for a while and I don't know all spawns by heart, especially because there is a difference between TDM and DM. And I think (hope) I'm not stupid ;-).
4. Everyone makes mistakes, including the administrators themselves. But the administrators are logically less likely to be informed of this. We (administrators) must be aware of this.
5. There are players who complain loudly at the slightest violation, others understand that accidental mistakes cannot be avoided.
What is my point now:
In view of the above, it is important to find the right communication tone, to be respectful to anyone who wants to relax by playing COD. How do we want to prewarn in the first instance (not repeatedly)? With orders or with warnings? What do you prefer to hear:
- PLAYER X, stop spawn camping! Or
- Player x, you r shooting from spawnplace.
The message is the same, only with the first you assume that the other is doing it on purpose in the second you give the benefit of the doubt. People with power need to be even better people.
Thanks for listening!
At first contact with a player a polite request to stop whatever it is they are doing eg: Playerone stop spawn camping please - preferably ask them a couple of times before going to warnings. The regulars who have had many warnings I try to remind them of the rule (Bind) before going to warns.
Votes
Undo
Roger - we are on the same wave length it seems.

The jumping rule: The "no jumping in close combat" though... I have a bind that goes a bit like: " No jumping! You can jump on to something, over something or to throw something ONLY!"

I have never been a fan of the no jump rule in the 10+ years that I have played the OGHF servers, but its a rule and so ours is not to question why...etc. I just feel that if we say when its ok to jump, rather than when its not ok to jump, the rule cannot be misinterpreted and is unambiguous.

If the close combat rule is applied then, effectively, someone could be bouncing up and down at the other end of the map while I am trying to target them with a sniper rifle.

Also: I think certain racist and homophobic comments should be a straight up PB. For instance: using the "N" word or, as I have seen fairly recently, the "J" word. I find homophobic comments particularly loathsome also.
I use "Jump to avoid bullets/nades, Jump around corners, Jump shooting - NOT allowed"

The "N word" was a straight perm ban - we now give anyone using that a TB - should they use it a second time or if there is enough context then we would probably PB
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.